Monday, June 22, 2009


Things have been good, albeit never without excitement!

We started with cleaning and laundry on Monday. (Doesn't that sound exciting?!) Then we made our weekly trip to the library. This summer, we decided to go to the Denton Library rather than Easton. Sam hit the jackpot! He found the Otaku club that meets twice a month on Friday nights. It's for kids ages 13-17. They watch Japanese anime and talk about their passion--anime, manga and videogames. In Sam's words, "I finally found my group!!" He was so excited that everyone had the same interests that he did, and that they understood and were as excited as he was about manga. One of the leaders even told the other leader that she found her 'mini me' in Sam. The whole experience was pure pleasure for me since I knew Sam always felt like he didn't fit in with his hunting/fishing/sports friends. Pure pleasure.

This week was also the week of the Preston Fireman's carnival. We were a little underdressed and shivered through the parade on Tuesday night. There was tons of candy thrown though, so it was easy for Brenna and Will to forget their chills. Sam wasn't interested, so he stayed home. I'm trying to get used to the teenager thing and not insist that he join us every time. He even skipped the carnival for the Otaku club on Friday...but there were obviously no regrets on my behalf or his! We definitely missed him at the carnival, but I saved some cash so I'm not complaining!

We still think we ought to be building an ark with as much rain as we've had lately. I often wonder if the farmers are happy or annoyed with the rain, but their corn sure looks fabulous. I can't wait to sink my teeth into some! We had some out-of-state stuff last night, and it was crisp and sweet. Almost like candy. Lewis commented that WTOP stated that we were still below normal for rain...I beg to differ. We are dangerously close to growing webbed feet!

The week ended with Will on antibiotics for strep, and a lazy Saturday. I was with Sam all morning while he was tossing his cookies from a stomach bug, and I grocery shopped at night after having dinner with my peeps. Grocery shopping was such a relief! We had been picking up only what was absolutely necessary for about a month or two, and I was finally able to stock the cupboards. Woo hoo!

Sunday was Father's Day, and at Lewis' request we went to Salisbury to get him some new glasses. It was a test in patience for me to have all three kids bored and waiting, but it's amazing how far some well-timed ice cream and pretzels will go to keep kids happy. Afterward, I tried my hand at making some beef ribs. In my opinion, I overcooked them. Lewis likes everything well-done, though. With more experience, I'll remember to pull mine early. It was Father's Day, and Lewis loved them. That's all that mattered.

This morning, I think I have officially been hit by Will's strep bug. I won't complain, though, because he gives such sweet kisses. I'll catch every germ for those kisses!

No comments: