Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why does this bother me so much?






These acres of land just outside of Bethlehem used to be wooded. I have no idea who owns this land or why it is being cleared, but my heart sinks every time I drive by.

I know that we can't have progress without change. I also know that the stretch of route 331 that had been shaded by those trees, consequently becoming icy and hazardous during winter weather, won't be prone to winter accidents now.

Here's another one that I've been watching in Easton. (Pardon the crude photo.)

The owner of this land is preserving the house by moving it to route 328, but cleared the land for "commercial use." I am not one to resist change, but this just makes me sad.

Maybe it's because I moved here from Montgomery County where I grew up in Rockville? There used to be huge expanses of land and lots of agriculture in Montgomery County, much like we have here in Caroline County. When I go back, I hardly recognize Rockville anymore. There sure aren't as many farms as there used to be north of Rockville. There are plenty of million-dollar homes, pricey subdivisions, every store you could possibly think of (and two of some!) and loads of traffic. I guess that's why I love living here.

Here's to the farming families in our area who are passing their farms down to their children and keeping farming alive. What would this country be without you?



P.S.
I am taking a few days away from my computer to move. I'll check back with you next week. :o)

No comments: