Monday, December 1, 2008

Gingerbread

I absolutely love gingerbread. Gingerbread people, loaves of gingerbread, gingerbread decorations and especially making gingerbread houses. I am REALLY looking forward to making gingerbread this holiday because my mother-in-law brought me some high quality baking spices at Thanksgiving. So I've been thinking of gingerbread a lot lately, and for my picture of the week, I chose one of the gingerbread houses that I made with the kids in 2005.

Lewis works in the hotel industry (a 24/7 business) and he is Jewish, so it isn't unusual for him to have to work on Christmas. Not only that, but my family (tiny as it is) are all in Ohio and Pennsylvania. So, it's often just me and the kids on Christmas day...a difficult time for me because I love being with my family on Christmas.

To keep my spirits up, I have always had an activity planned for us. Gingerbread house decorating is one of my favorites. Or, like good Jews, we often go to the movies. :o) Now that Will is getting older, I plan to start volunteering on Christmas...not sure if it will be this year or not. If we actually have Lewis at home, we may visit family. We'll see.

My kids have the benefit of taking part in some Christmas activities because my whole side of the family is Christian (with the exception of my late father who was a non-practicing Muslim.) This diversity in our family has taught my children to be tolerant and to understand that though we may not believe the same things, we can be happy for those who are celebrating their holidays and even take part in their celebration without compromising our own beliefs.

I grew up celebrating Christmas, so baking cookies, making gingerbread houses and the season of giving are things that I truly love sharing with my children. Take a few moments and do at least one thing that you love this season, and make some gingerbread, too!

No comments: