Thursday, August 28, 2008

Quack, Quack, Waddle, Waddle...smile!


I finally did it. I bought a pair of Crocs for myself. I know, I know. If you like Crocs, you're wondering why this is such a big deal. Well, I'll tell ya.

I happen to think that Crocs are the ugliest shoes ever made. Correction--Birkenstocks are the ugliest shoes ever made. Crocs are the second ugliest. But you see, I have tendonitis in both of my achilles tendons thanks to years of trying to lose or control my weight with diet and exercise. Normally, I stick to wearing my tennis shoes and buying a new pair every six-nine months so that they are supportive enough to prevent pain in my tendons. And I stretch, and I stretch, and I stretch. Yesterday, despite wearing brand new Reeboks (which I will never buy again because they were doing nothing for my tendons) I was in pain.


I was at work, and my tendons had tightened up so severely that I could hardly walk. I was shuffling, not walking! We sell Crocs at the store where I work, and I'd tried them many times but couldn't get past the fact that they make your feet look like duck feet! Well, I'd recently read yet another article written by a podiatrist that stated the benefits of wearing Crocs. The article stated that the orthotic soles were excellent for preventing pain in those with leg, ankle, foot or back pain. In desperation, I once again tried on a pair.


I took a few steps with the Crocs on immediately noticing that the pain had already lessened considerably. As I stood there with my chin on the ground, I tried to justify why I shouldn't buy them. My size 9.5 wides look ridiculous. They don't look pretty, and I like looking feminine and pretty. They might make my feet sweaty, although my kids claim they don't. I just threw a bar mitzvah luncheon and party, and I shouldn't spend money. They don't have the color I want. I just bought new sandals and sneakers. Your feet get dirty in them. Hmmm....I walked (yes walked, not shuffled) to the lunchroom, got my wallet, and bought those bad boys.

Now, I wear navy Crocs. They aren't pretty. They make my feet look like duck feet, and they make a fashion statement that does not say "Mina." But I waddle without pain!


No comments: