Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Go Shmuley!



Did you ever hear of the TLC series called, "Shalom in the Home?" I loved it. It was akin to Super Nanny, but with a Rabbi fixing broken families. It was a wonderful show, and I loved it. Well, I finally got around to looking up his books and even went so far as to request one from the inter-library loan system. Yep! All this and planning our move to our new house. Go me!!

Anyway, the Rabbi's name is Shmuley Boteach, and I am currently reading the fabulous book of his titled, "Parenting with Fire: Lighting Up the Family with Passion and Inspiration" and WOW. I've read one chapter, and I already want to buy the book.

Here is an excerpt that really hit home for me:

His philosophy is that it is the parents' job to inspire their children, but today's American parents are lacking inspiration themselves. So, we adults must find inspiration and parent our children with it. This is an oversimplification, of course. His method is called PLANT. Each letter stands for one of the five branches of the method: protection, love, activity, novelty and tradition. PLANT focuses on building better families, not just better kids.


There are lots of references to the Old Testament because Judaism is based upon the Old Testament. Regardless, I highly recommend it. I'll tell you more as I discover how to better inspire my family, and hopefully how to encourage my husband to inspire our family as well.

No comments: