
You already know that I am a die-hard, life-long, loyal fan of the Boss. He has begun the final leg of the "Magic" tour in Jersey right now with shows at Giants Stadium. As you would expect, I am longing to go. But, alas, there are no tickets for me this time. (heavy sigh)
What you may not know is that I have "The Essential" collection in my car and listen to it often as I drive past farm after farm in this heavenly place we call Delmarva. "The Essential" collection is a 3-cd set of songs that Bruce was asked to put together as his essentials. Some of the songs he chose were from previous albums, and others were songs that were never before released, but we die hard fans had heard them in concert (or on those old bootlegged tapes...ssshhhh!) If it's a short trip in the car, I pull out "The Essentials" and hit #6 from the first CD, then #15 from the third...Thunder Road and Land of Hope and Dreams. Brenna is her momma's girl. She loves them, too, and requests them often.
My all time favorite, desert island song has always been "Thunder Road." Putting on my Walkman (yeah, I grew up in the 80s) and losing myself in that song got me through many a rough time. Lately, however, "Land of Hope and Dreams" speaks to me. It's much less rebellious than "Thunder Road." I like that it's positive and Bruce's small town American blood and Catholic faith shine through in it. It's more soulful, and I feel like I've come home whenever I listen to it. That's a big thing for someone who doesn't have much family.
Having very little family and that family not being close-knit is a source of great sadness to me. I have lived in Preston for almost 12 years now, and the sense of community and being one big 'small town American family' feels as close as I can get to extended family. And I love it.
Back in '99, I saw two "reunion tour" shows by Bruce and the E Street Band at the MCI center in DC (now the Verizon Center.) Thanks again Linda and Val! I'll always remember how you made my millenium! "Land of Hope and Dreams" was either an encore song or the last song before the encore. Either way, it was amazing. The video from that night is on YouTube. It is a crude one, but the fact that I know I was in that audience makes it exceptional to me.
I thought I'd give you guys the chance to experience this fantastic work by the Boss.
View the MCI center video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySu5DVXeigQ.
or a professional recording of the song can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXGNq2-S06I&feature=related.Did you know...Bruce's well-known song, "Born to Run," was actually in my English Literature 101 textbook in college! Not many artists have achieved that! Here are the lyrics to "Land of Hope and Dreams." Man, he is one incredible lyricist.
Land of Hope and Dreams
Grab your ticket and your suitcase
Thunder's rolling down the tracks
You don't know where you're goin'
But you know you won't be back
Darlin' if you're weary
Lay your head upon my chest
We'll take what we can carry
And we'll leave the rest
Big Wheels rolling through fields
Where sunlight streams
Meet me in a land of hope and dreams
I will provide for you
And I'll stand by your side
You'll need a good companion for
This part of the ride
Leave behind your sorrows
Let this day be the last
Tomorrow there'll be sunshine
And all this darkness past
Big wheels roll through fields
Where sunlight streams
Meet me in a land of hope and dreams
This train
Carries saints and sinners
This train
Carries losers and winners
This Train
Carries whores and gamblers
This Train
Carries lost souls
This Train
Dreams will not be thwarted
This Train
Faith will be rewarded
This Train
Hear the steel wheels singin'
This Train
Bells of freedom ringin'
This Train
Carries broken-hearted
This Train
Thieves and sweet souls departed
This Train
Carries fools and kings
This Train
All aboard
This Train
Dreams will not be thwarted
This Train
Faith will be rewarded
This Train
Hear the steel wheels singin'
This Train
Bells of freedom ringin'
Okay, I'm done now. I'm gonna go listen to some Boss. What's your desert island song?
No comments:
Post a Comment